Subject: Re: [boost] Tests that enable <warnings-as-errors>on
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-15 10:03:41

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Some test suites, for example Pool and Units, use '<warnings-as-errors>on'
> in their project requirements, to test for a warning-free compilation.
>
> Pool, f.ex. has
>
> project
> : requrements
> <toolset>gcc:<warnings-as-errors>on <toolset>msvc:<warnings-as-errors>on
> ;
>
> (among others.)
>
> This, however, is propagated to dependencies, so that in
>
> [ run test_threading.cpp : : : <threading>multi
> <library>/boost/thread//boost_thread ]
>
> Boost.Thread is also built with '<warnings-as-errors>on', which fails. (In
> addition, some other tests also fail because of warnings.)
>
> So I tried to use '<warnings-as-errors>off' only for some tests, but I was
> unable to come up with a syntax that worked. Putting
> -<toolset>msvc:<warnings-as-errors>on in the test requirements didn't (no
> effect). <toolset>msvc:<warnings-as-errors>off didn't (conflict).
> -<warnings-as-errors>on didn't (no effect). -<warnings-as-errors>on
> <warnings-as-errors>off didn't (no effect).
>
> Is there a way to override the project requirements from the run rule?

Don't know...

But you could change the build rules for Pool, etc, to only use
<warning-as-errors>on when doing the compile only. It means adding build
targets for the *.o files for the appropriate tests. Which could be
"automated" with a rule local to Pool, etc.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything