Subject: Re: [boost] Warning policy? local variable hides (i.e. shadows) global variable
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-15 12:58:14

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Niall Douglas
<s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 15 Jan 2015 at 8:11, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> Should Boost have policy to clear these warnings?
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Personally I'd be opposed to setting such a policy for all libraries.

The question needs to be reformulated. We already have a policy to
clear warnings in the builds of compiled libraries, and had a sprint a
few years ago that eliminated most or maybe even all of those
warnings.

Where I'm having a problem is headers like lexical_cast.hpp (and its
implementation headers) that shadow "n", "str", and "ch". What do we
tell users who don't want to turn the warnings off?

--Beman