Subject: Re: [boost] Warning policy? local variable hides (i.e. shadows) global variable
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-15 22:46:40

On 16/01/2015 06:22, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> So like with the "m_" prefix, a boost library wishing to avoid
>> shadowing would need to use deliberately ugly or unusual formal
>> parameter names. Ugh!
>
> Ruby requires @ to access class members. I've been wondering, wouldn't
> it be nice to have something like this in C++ as well?
> "m_" and "_" would no longer be required.
> Obviously this isn't a short-term solution.

There *is* something like that in C++ -- you can prefix all member
accesses with "this->".

Of course, then you get yelled at by all the people who hate the added
verbosity, because this is optional. (And I don't disagree with them;
and the pun was intended.)

(And it doesn't help with function arguments, which is what was being
discussed here.)