Subject: Re: [boost] [config] [regression] Regression test failures due to compiler bugs -- your advice needed
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-21 16:29:59

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 12:20 AM, Andrzej Krzemienski
<akrzemi1_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> What kind of errors are we talking about? Does optional<T&> behave
>> plain wrong on MSVC or is there a misbehavior in some narrow case?
>> Does it compile invalid code, does it not compile valid one, or is
>> there a miscompilation?
>
> In most of the cases the program compiles but we have a run-time
> misbehavior: we store a reference to an unexpected temporary rather than to
> the original object.

Does it happen all the time or in some select cases? E.g. if binding a
reference to an integer literal doesn't work but everything else does
it's not a big deal since this rarely happens.

I'm kind of worried by disabling the feature outright. If I'm writing
portable code which uses optional<T&> and compiles with gcc, I would
expect it to compile with MSVC as well.