Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Boost.Endian mini-review
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-24 15:03:12

On 24 January 2015 at 12:00, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> In practice, the enhanced efficiency of aligned types is usually more
> important than worry about someday encountering an odd-ball
> architecture or use in an unaligned location.

I disagree with that for endian. Most of those uses are in wire and file
protocols, and they are either densely packed or based on the alignment of
the original architecture that the protocol was developed on. Unless one
is transferring data between machines with different architectures, why
would one use endian at all?

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404