Subject: Re: [boost] [Test][Thread] Regression since 9 December?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-26 04:49:58

On Monday 26 January 2015 09:27:16 Raffi Enficiaud wrote:

> If I understand correctly, the pull request that was merged
> (<use>/boost/test//boost_unit_test_framework) states only that the headers
> of boost.test are there when the tests of atomic are built. So this is just
> fixing the way now the modular boost works (the header having moved to
> libs/xxx/include/boost). So the impact on the link part should be null.
>

> I have a patch that fixes the issues you have with boost.test (it is just a
> matter of two lines to change). However, it would be good to understand why
> it worked and why this is not the case anymore.
>
> I had a closer look to the tests of boost.atomic:
>
> - the tests that are failing are using the test_execution_monitor in a
> include only (no linking) way. However, I went back through the
> documentation until boost 1.31 and I cannot see anywhere in the
> documentation such an interface to boost.test. These tests were added in
> 2012 if I am correct, and already using a non supported interface to
> boost.test. - it is hard to tell if those tests were not failing before the
> changes that were made and reverted. I compiled the boost.atomic tests by
> reverting boost.test back to c3ec41073f8385879721882373d39794c50791dd of *8
> Nov 2012*, and the problem still occurs (version
> 427a757bbfba4118acb7e4b34dfb8f91dc121c28 of boost.atomic). So my guess is
> that something from the *environment* is causing these troubles, but the
> environment is a complex entity.

Maybe. I really didn't dig too deep into this problem, I just remember that
last time I made changes to Atomic (some time last summer, I think) the tests
were green. It is possible that the tests broke at some point after I checked
but before changes to Test or Timer when I wasn't constantly watching test
results.

> So, if you are interested in this patch, I can send it to you.

Thanks, but as I said I decided to switch away from Boost.Test. The switch is
done and tests are turning green now. The point of my posts was mostly to let
you know that something may still be wrong.