Subject: Re: [boost] [build] Boost modular: Build without version number suffixes
From: Robert Dailey (rcdailey.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-27 11:34:39

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:09 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 5:26 AM, Vladimir Prus
> <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 01/27/2015 12:39 PM, Rob Stewart wrote:
>>>>

>>> I understand that you want consistency between platforms. Just beware that
>>> fighting the norms of a platform will cause difficulties. That
>>> said, ISTR an option for Boost Build to build things as you want, but I
>>> don't know what it is. (I added "[build]" to the subject in hopes
>>> that will attract the right attention to your query.
>>

>> I don't believe there is such an option. I will be open to a new value for
>> --layout option, say 'bare', that suppresses version
>> number completely. Robert, since you've already identified the code in
>> question, and it's not particularly specific to Boost.Build,
>> would you be interested in submitting a pull request?
>
> We may also want to add something to the "Getting started..." docs
> mentioning the option and its uses.

I'd be happy to do a pull request for this.

I realize I could edit the copy script to perform symlink creation or
copy files with the version number at the end. The problem is this
introduces conditional logic based on platform (which makes this more
difficult for me) and also it's much easier to look for *.so. There is
no clear pattern when a version number is at the end, I'd have to use
a regular expression to support version number changes later.

Again I understand this is a platform norm but the function of the
version number at the end IMHO is to resolve conflicts when installed
through package manager (so that multiple boost versions can live side
by side). When I have no need for that, I don't see myself as
"breaking the norms" by using the name without the version. In fact,
it's perfectly common to see libs with just *.so at the end. Every
other library I've built does this out of the box except for Boost.

I am not familiar with contribution best practices for Boost. Is there
recommended reading material? I'll make sure I understand everything
so I don't waste anyone's time. I don't like doing patches via email
because it's overly complicated, but if you guys use github pull
requests I'm more than happy to use that. Thanks again everyone :)