Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-02 23:01:00

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Peter Dimov-2 wrote
> > Look at the dependency report. Don't try to solve problems that don't
> > exist.
>
> OK - I looked at the report and I think I understand the problem better
> now.
> I had presumed that the report followed header inclusions to determine
> dependencies. I see now that it doesn't. It looks that as soon as it
> finds finds that split_free is in the serialization module it just assumes
> that everything in the serialization module has to be included if
> date-time/serialization.hpp is included. That includes archive,
> xml_archive
> spirite - the whole ball of wax. Consider refining the dependency checker
> so that it doesn't consider the whole module but rather the top level
> directory. In this case, if you just included dependencies in
> boost/serialization
> rather than boost/serialization + boost/archive, we might already have
> what we need. I'm thinking this is the thrust of Rene's suggestion.

Yes, such a split is a variation of my suggestion. We can standardize such
a split. So that all libraries follow a structure that allow dependency
analyses, and anyone else, to easily determine and use the parts that they
need. Problem right now is that even if some particular library has core vs
full already it's not in a structure that anyone can easily use.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything