Subject: Re: [boost] To split, or not to split, or something else? RE: type_traits rewrite, modularization, dependencies, etc.
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-03 23:39:53

Neil Groves wrote:

> I'm happy to solve the Boost.Range dependencies. I suspect this is far
> simpler than for Boost.Serialization. I think code simply needs to move to
> other libraries. For example the Range Adapter for regexp could move to
> Boost.RegExp if it is reasonable for it to depend on Boost.Range.

The most straightforward way to proceed with Boost.Range is to split
(approximately) everything in boost/range.hpp into a range_core module. I
don't remember Range's history very clearly, but I suspect that this is what
Range originally was, before acquiring the additional bells and whistles.

Range's reverse dependencies:

http://www.pdimov.com/tmp/report-develop-c3bb6eb/range.html#reverse-dependencies

show that most libraries only depend on this 'core' part. Isolating it
precisely would take some additional work though, as f.ex. as_literal.hpp is
not included in boost/range.hpp, but does seem part of the core.