Subject: Re: [boost] GSOC 2015 : Project on Concurrent Hash Tables
From: Amarnath V A (me_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-14 06:34:45

Hello Nial,

I am a graduate student from India and I have spent some time looking into
the
boost GSoC page for last few days. And concurrent hash tables project has
grabbed
my attention. I would like to see if I am competent enough to contribute to
the project.

First of all, like you had mentioned in the mailing list to another
prospective candidate,
I have got the source code and compiled the unit tests. And they are
passing as expected
(as far as I understand).

I have a few questions regarding the code base before I jump in try to
complete the test.

1. As I have experience only on C++98, I am not sure what is the purpose of
the move
constructors. Reading up on internet gave me fair idea about move
constructors in general.
In our context, is there anything specific to be taken care? Could you
provide few ideas of what
is the expected result of the move? The important question I have is should
the move rehash
all the hashes? (Is that why you were mentioning about rehash()?)

2. Similarly, does the copy constructor need to just perform a deep copy of
the hash table? Or
should it also perform a rehashing?

3. Could you also point me to any white paper or publication that gave you
how to go about with
the implementation of concurrent_unordered_map?

4. Being a Linux user, I am using Ubuntu as my dev box. I have currently
build the source
code using gcc v4.8.2 and clang v3.4. Is this fine?

Sorry if my mail ends up as a cross post. I am new to this list. And thanks
for bearing with
my (maybe silly) questions.

Thanks,
Amarnath