Subject: Re: [boost] [build] adding a rquirement for Cygwin only?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-05 13:08:09

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> Last time I used Cygwin (which was admittedly a long time ago) I put
> something like this in my user-config.jam:
>
> import toolset ;
> using gcc ;
> toolset.add-requirements <toolset>gcc:<target-os>cygwin ;

This would work if the only gcc on my system were Cygwin, and I probably
could live with it, but it won't work in the case in which I also have MinGW
and what gcc is used depends on the current PATH. Which is why I was somehow
trying to make it autodetect.

> Actually... I seem to recall that Boost.Thread's Jamfile doesn't work
> correctly even if target-os is set. It sets the default threadapi
> entirely based on the host.

That's probably because nobody ever sets target-os. :-)

(There are other places that don't handle cross-compilation properly, using
host-os when target-os would be correct. Most people are probably entirely
unaware of the distinction. I admit I was.)