Subject: [boost] GSoC 2015 Paritipation
From: vladiksonic_at_[hidden]
Date: 2015-03-07 17:30:24

Dear Boost,

I am eager to participate in GSoC 2015 in one of the two projects (from this page:  https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2015 , 1 or 5).

As far as I understood - the first one is tougher, and (as for me) conditions are clearer, and the second one is (seemingly) simpler.
I am totally new to Boost (never used it, actually, but that is because I mostly used C++ in programming contests).

I am familiar with algorithms (from contests), and testing (manual, both for stability and performance), but I am not very familiar with C++11 (but I can compensate for that, because I have knowledge of other languages (C#, Javascript (nodejs)) and older C++ versions), and automated tests.

At first, I'd like to ask - what should I choose?
My main goals are:
1) To enter the community
2) Learn C++11 new features (I will start early on that, obviously)
3) And to learn how to code open-source programs (up till now I only have closed-source ones, apart from one project, which has not-so-good code quality - see here: https://github.com/hotab/OpticalBuilder )
4) Plus understand better how to maintain library code (I already have some understanding of that, but I want to sharpen it).

Both can give me that.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you,
Vladislav Babkin