Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Re: Conflicts when building libraries at root
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-11 16:40:18

On 03/11/2015 12:00 PM, Jürgen Hunold wrote:
> Hi Volodya,
>
> On Mittwoch, 11. März 2015 11:36:01 Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> On 03/11/2015 11:34 AM, Jürgen Hunold wrote:
>>> Please note that the dependency on Boost.System is _only_ on develop, not
>>> on master. The last merge to master was 3 years ago. Which is another
>>> story...
>> It seems that develop not building out of box on Windows is an important
>> issue.
>
> <rant>
> Well, develop did not build out-of-the-box for what, the last 4 months? And
> suddenly it is more important than fixing master?
> </rant>
>
> The real issue is that the regression tests did not capture this because they
> don't run the "bootstrap.{sh|bat} ; b2" "end-user build" sequence at all. And
> my reports, others reports and my replies were obviously ignored, so
> Boost.Context even got merged to master causing the same failure.
> Sorry, I can't do much more than regularly (read: daily) building boost
> develop and reporting bugs for the foreseeable future.
> I'd really appreciate it if someone would enhance "run.py" to run the end-user
> build sequence first and bail out with bells and whistles if that don't work.
> This would have prevented us from getting into this mess in the first place.

That's a valid point, and I understand why you would be upset. I've asked release
managers what technical solutions we could use; it would be great if we could get
notification of failed builds faster than the current builds turnaround - e.g.
if we could just use Jenkins or similar.

> It is quite ironic that the lack of merge to master for Boost.Test is saving
> some work right now.
>
>>> So we should go forward and merge the existing patches to master and leav>
>> Boost.Test for later.
>>
>> The beta is coming out without these fixes, I'll merge them for final
>> release.
>
> I'm fine with this. Only make sure you have a *big* note on how to build the
> binaries in the announcement. And are prepared to handle the complaints from
> those who will just don't get it.

Not-happy-about-this-either-yours,

--
Vladimir Prus