Subject: Re: [boost] [flat_map] Any interest in a flat_map variant that is much faster on insertion/erase at the price of a slower lookup?
From: Marcelo Zimbres (mzimbres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-15 18:33:33

"The size of the keys seems to make quite a difference. And of course, one has
to consider the overhead given by the pointers in a linked structure, however
allocations are performed.

What are your thoughts?"

Hi Giacomo,

thanks for providing these benchmarks with booost::container::node_allocator.
My point is that the performance of std::map depends so much on the allocation
strategy used that it is almost unfair to compare its benchmark when using the
standard allocator. One can draw conclusions about its bad performance when
the real problem may be on the allocator used. I see for example that for size
50000 the boost::container::map with the node allocator performs better than
your experimental map in all cases (specially on random insertion and erase).

You may want to have a look on this plot [1] of my own benchmarks of std::set.
It will give you an idea of how much the allocator influences the performance.

Regards,
Marcelo

[1] https://github.com/mzimbres/rtcpp/blob/master/fig/std_set_insertion.png