Subject: Re: [boost] [afio][v1.30 "C++ Now edition" released]
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-19 14:58:57

On 18/03/2015 05:47, Niall Douglas wrote:
> Dear Boost,
>
> I am very pleased to announce the v1.30 release of proposed Boost
> AFIO, a Boost library implementing asynchronous file input/output
> which has been in the review queue since 2013. This is the version of
> AFIO which will be overviewed in my talk at C++ Now 2015. It also
> demonstrates the validity of the clang AST driven BindLib standalone
> Boost library conversion technique which will also be overviewed at
> C++ Now.
>
> Source distro:
> https://github.com/BoostGSoC13/boost.afio/archive/v1.30_Boost_v1.57.zi
>
> Docs and CI dashboard: https://boostgsoc13.github.io/boost.afio/

Hi, this is my first time actually looking at the documentation of the
library.

I think it would be interesting to develop a couple more things in the
design or FAQ sections.

Why use a specific asynchronous model with its own when_all etc.? There
is a standard way of defining asynchronous tasks, which is getting
extended by compiler support using await/yield_value, so why not do
something using that?

What about the relationship with ASIO? ASIO has its own event-driven
main-loop system for asynchronous tasks, can AFIO use that and can ASIO
use AFIO's future method for other types of I/O too?