Subject: [boost] BOOST_SYMBOL_VISIBLE
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-22 16:31:31

I'm trying to get my MAC OS (Yosemite) to build the boost serialization
library and I've having a problem. In a couple of tests, the program throws
some exceptions. When this occurs I get a message something like "terminate
called after throwing an instance of 'boost::archive::archive_exception'".
I'm quite sure that I used to be able to do this without problem - as of a
couple of months ago. I recently "upgraded" to Yosemite. My gcc-4.8.1
version I'm getting from HPC website. In the course of trying to figure
this out, I've come upon boost documentation which explains
BOOST_SYMBOL_VISIBLE which was new to me. It suggests that my code which
looks like

class archive_exception :
    public virtual std::exception
{

could be creating a problem. due to deriving from some other class which
might be defined a runtime shared library.

So I replaced it with:

class BOOST_SYMBOL_VISIBLE archive_exception :
    public virtual std::exception
{

and I also tried

class BOOST_SYMBOL_VISIBLE archive_exception :
    public virtual std::exception
{

This doesn't change anything so it looks like I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Is there anyone here who might want to shed some light on this?

Robert Ramey