Subject: Re: [boost] [log] [asio] Conflicting default configs
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-31 13:38:19

On Tuesday 31 March 2015 13:30:03 Niall Douglas wrote:

> Boost.ASIO is auto generated by a script from standalone ASIO. Some
> of the things it does is to wrap the asio namespace with a boost
> namespace, the ASIO_ macros with a BOOST_ prefix and so on.
>
> Tweaking that script to prepend a log_internal namespace and a
> BOOST_LOG_INTERAL_ instead should be trivial. I'd have your build
> system optionally git clone the standalone ASIO repo and optionally
> refresh a locally kept copy.

Yes, I understand, and this is what I referred to as "copy&paste" in my
previous reply. Taking this route would mean I would have to maintain this
copy of ASIO on my own, possibly refreshing it from time to time, let alone
the code bloat. Given that I only need to send UDP packets and resolve domain
names once in a while, I don't think the effort is worthwhile.

What I'd like to see is a solution for Boost.ASIO, as well as other header-
only libraries that support ABI-breaking config options. Ideally, there should
be a guideline for future libraries.

As for Boost.Log case, well, I'm still uncertain, but leaning towards dropping
Boost.ASIO and writing my own network compatibility layer.

> BTW Boost.ASIO lags standalone ASIO by up to a year.

This is very unfortunate.