Subject: Re: [boost] questions regarding GCC visibility
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-01 14:57:37

On 1 Apr 2015 at 16:15, Andrey Semashev wrote:

> > If you think it through, if this weren't the case then no STL
> > container type would ever work because none of those are marked with
> > default visibility.
>
> libstdc++ marks the whole namespace std with default visibility.

Indeed it does.

That came a LOT later, and is only realistically possible because of
the extent to which libstdc++ goes to maintain ABI.

Originally libstdc++ had no markup at all, as most template libraries
still don't. It still works as I said. Moreover, base classes don't
need declspec(dllexport) on Windows under the exact same conditions
as on GCC. That was a very deliberate choice to have the two match
semantics as closely as was possible.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting