Subject: Re: [boost] [align] Conflicts during git pull
From: Suckow, Thomas J (Thomas.Suckow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-06 11:29:55

On 4/4/15, 11:32 AM, "Andrey Semashev" <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When updating my local copy 'git pull' failed on Boost.Align with the
>following error:
>
>git pull
>Auto-merging test/is_aligned_test.cpp
>CONFLICT (add/add): Merge conflict in test/is_aligned_test.cpp
>Auto-merging test/aligned_delete_test.cpp
>[...]
>
>This is on the master branch. I didn't modify my local copy of
>Boost.Align, so
>there must have been some weird change upstream that cannot be merged
>automatically. Does anyone know why this happens?

It probably means someone force pushed to the master branch with a commit
that does not share history with the previous master. Then, when you pull,
rather than fast forwarding like you would expect it tries to merge which
in situations like this nearly always results in merge conflicts.

Reset or rebase are generally the right answer in such situations.

Tl;dr: Someone tried to rewrite history, but you are still in the original
timeline.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/Q3Su5.jpg

-
Thomas