Subject: Re: [boost] [boost, config, context, log, 1.58] address-model and architecture detection
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-07 01:58:22

On 5/04/2015 08:00, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2015 at 20:57, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>
>> for some time on develop, top-level Jamroot used to deduce address-model and architecture from
>> compiler. The only issue was that both properties would be added to targets paths when not
>> necessary. Fix for that has been just committed, for develop:
>
> Does this mean that on Windows, if building Boost with
>
> b2 stage
>
> ... on a x64 machine, we finally default produce 64 bit binaries not
> 32 bit ones?
>
> If so, I take my hat off to whoever is responsible. Long overdue that
> fix.

Building 64-bit on Windows is not the preferred option for the vast
majority of applications, for compatibility reasons.

Typically only those that actually need gobs of memory (read: >1.5GB per
app) get compiled for 64-bit. While these certainly exist, they're
relatively rare (except in certain domains, perhaps).

So if Boost defaults to building 32-bit on Windows (even 64-bit
Windows), that will make most end users happy and is not a bug.

Although I'll add my +1 to being *able* to build both 32-bit and 64-bit
in the same path, which as noted elsewhere in this thread is not
currently supported.