Subject: Re: [boost] [1.58.0] Release candidates available
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-07 19:10:53

On 8 Apr 2015 at 0:57, Bjørn Roald wrote:

> >> Shooting from the hip here, why not require at least 2G of free RAM to
> >> start a task running in parallel. 2G may seem excessively defensive,
> >> but it provide good margins and who around here have dev. boxes with
> >> less than 8G RAM these days.
> >
> > That would be an unhelpful heuristic on VMs with balloon allocated
> > memory.
>
> OK, so if I understand that correctly, in such an environment the
> reported available RAM would be low, but as contention is detected by
> the balloon driver the guest RAM would be inflated, thus more RAM
> demanding processes would fit just fine. That is a tricky one.

I believe for OpenVZ and BSD jail containers this is exactly the
case, and most of my personal use of ./b2 is from within such a
container either through Jenkins or a throw away dev environment. For
KVM with balloon page allocating drivers I actually don't know what
the OS reports as free memory, and you think I would know given how
many of those VMs I run (what can I say, it "just works"). I'll check
when I get back from vacation.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting