Subject: Re: [boost] [1.58.0] Release candidates available
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-08 02:19:51

On 8/04/2015 16:13, Bjørn Roald wrote:
> On 08. april 2015 01:47, Gavin Lambert wrote:
>> Not in MSBUILD, but for example CL supports the /MP option which if
>> specified will tell it to compile separate compilation units in
>> parallel. (The default, however, is not to do that.)
>
> Then you have to list more than one source file for each cl invocation,
> which is fast, possibly for other reasons. Ant actually did that many
> years ago when I used it for some C++ work. I do not remember if there
> was a flag for parallel build added by Ant.

I believe MSBUILD runs CL exactly twice for a normal project -- once to
build the precompiled headers and once for all the other files.

Obviously this will be only once if you're not using precompiled
headers, or possibly many times if you have individual files with
different compiler settings.

But either way specifying /MP should give you the most theoretical
benefit, unless you have lots of projects containing only a few files
(and that don't depend on each other), in which case the MSBUILD setting
may be more beneficial.

I'm not sure what B2 does.