Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] failing MPI build
From: Alain Miniussi (alain.miniussi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-15 02:53:02

On 14/04/2015 16:49, Robert Ramey wrote:
> Alain Miniussi wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> I suspect one problem is that the commit
>> https://github.com/boostorg/serialization/commit/5a94e5e4eb01cd8c941db725e5f89965a91740a9
>> was not taken into account in MPI.
>>
>> Not sure how the MPI should be adapted to that change yet. Some
>> parameters that were supposed to be there only to help overload
>> resolution have been removed (according to comments in pfto.hpp).
>>
>> I guess I need to remove some int arguments from the
>> (save|load)_override methods of boost::mpi::packed_(i|o)archive classes ?
>
> You are correct. It's easy to see the changes. If you do a diff on some
> other archive like binary or text in the serialization library you'll see
> that the dummy parameter used to emulate partial function template overload
> has been eliminated. And of course eliminate the #include
> boost/serialization/ptfo.hpp . That's all that is necessary. This
> simplifies code at the cost of eliminating support of borland 5x and mdvc
> 7.0 and below which is no longer considered necessary. Since these headers
> are considered implementation features of the serialization library it
> didn't occur to me that making these changes would break anything else.
> Sorry about that.

I am relatively new to that part of Boost.MPI so I cannot tell if these
features should have been used in boost mpi in the first place.

> If you're interested in enhancing, or improving the MPI implementation as it
> regards serialization, you should let me know so I could acquaint myself
> with the MPI version and offer some suggestions. I've had some ideas in my
> head for years would simplify and expedite usage of the serialization
> library for object transmission over a stream but I've never spend any time
> on them as it didn't seem anyone had any interest.

I started doing some modifications that I will put on a branch on github.
Right now, with those modifications the develop version of Boost.MPI
compiles again with the develop version of serialization. But I still
have some runtime failures so I'd like to fix those before going to
github develop.
The failure have to do with serialization of "complex" stl data
structure (stl collections of non PODs). I suspect it has something to
do with binary serialization optimisation (where non POD are considered
POD).

I'll let you know when current modifications are on a publicly available
on github (I'm not that fluent in git/github yet).

Alain Miniussi