Subject: Re: [boost] [boost, config, context, log, 1.58] address-model and architecture detection
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-23 16:37:30

On 23 April 2015 at 22:28, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 04/23/2015 10:02 PM, mloskot wrote:
>> Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote

>>> Even with that, having no way for tools (like CMake) to identify one
>>> version from the other is problematic when you actually need to support
>>> both.
>>> Both building the OS native binaries and having a convention to identify
>>> both 32 and 64bit versions would help.
>>
>> I second that too.
>> As a user of CMake+Boost tandem, I find the issue a PITA indeed.
>
> Is this problem unique to Boost?

I don't know.

> Does any other library encode 32 vs 64 bit variant in library name?

I don't know.

> I might not know lot about Windows development, but often library names does
> not encode anything really, and
> there are separate "Program Options" for 32-bit and 64-bit. And on Linux,
> 32-bit and 64-bit is also
> in different places, with library names being the same.

I guess, your observation is valid.

> So why is Boost special?

My complain is more about CMake module FindBoost.cmake.
I'm surprised it doesn't handle not uncommon scenario of building
Boost-based programon 64-bit Unix host but targetting 32-bit architecture.

I posted about it to CMake ml:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2015-April/060429.html

Best regards,

--