Subject: Re: [boost] [Master project] Switch from Trac to another Bug-tracking-system
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-04 11:43:17

Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote
> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Michael Ainsworth <
>
> To clarify for people who do not know much about the tools mentionned:
>
> ... snip ..

I found this information very helpful. FWIW I prefer simpler tools which
mostly do one thing which can be composed with other simple tools.
Basically, I prefer de-coupling in general. I don't see the alternatives
offer anything really useful that we don't already have with TRAC. The
problems with track seem to be related to implementation details.
Hopefully a lot of this would go a way just by upgrading to the more
recent version of TRAC

> Although if the main issue is sysadmin skills/time, upgrading TRAC first
> might be less expensive.

This is always a huge issue for boost. The good tool which is hassle free
is much preferred to the "best" tool which requires a lot of attention to
keep running.

> If I remember correctly, TRAC upgrading process is documented in their
> wiki
> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade
> I don't have sysadmin skill and I'm still poor at understanding how linux
> works, however I did do several upgrades<
> some years ago and there was'nt any issue I can remember.
> That being said I didn't have a hundred projects to manage...

Fantastic! we have a volunteer with experience !!! Let's do this!

Robert Ramey