Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a container which can hold multiple data types?
From: James Armstrong (armstrhu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-05 18:53:14

I just took a look at boost::any and boost::variant (I haven't really
worked with these, so unfamiliar) and it looks like this idea definitely
do-able. I think that the restriction is that the container elements must
implement a type() method so that when requesting one specific data type,
we do not return another type which has been cast into the type requested.
I think this is a more generally applicable method than designing one
container which does this. I like the vector_tuple idea as well and think
there is definite merit to storing data of the same type together in order
to improve efficiency. In that scenario, I think there is no getting
around designing a container/adapter specifically for that (I could be
wrong).