Subject: Re: [boost] Windows XP support survey
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-06 06:16:03

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The Boost SC suggested I ask about Microsoft Windows XP support in
> Boost libraries here,

It seems, we're restarting this thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/245008/

(tl;dr; I proposed to raise the default version to Vista in
libs/winapi config headers; rejected because XP was still supported at
the time).

> so I'd appreciate if library maintainers could
> state:
>
> 1. If they still support Microsoft Windows XP i.e. actively do not
> use APIs not supported by XP. And if SP3 is the only service pack
> supported, or if any XP is okay.

I have compatibility code in Boost.Log and Boost.Sync. Both should
work fine on Windows XP and by default are built for that target (as
Windows XP is the default Windows target in WinAPI submodule).

> 2. Whether they regularly test their libraries on a Windows XP
> machine to ensure their libraries work there.

I don't. My libraries are only tested on Windows XP if some testers do that.

> 3. Their personal opinion about when would be best to drop mandatory
> Microsoft Windows XP support. Individual library maintainers can of
> course choose to keep supporting it.

I think it is more correct to bump the default Windows target to Vista
or even 7, if there is any significant difference. Whether or not
particular libraries support building for older Windows is a choice of
the library maintainers. I don't think there are mandatory
requirements on support for a particular Windows version (or a
particular OS in general).