Subject: Re: [boost] Windows XP support survey
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-06 11:19:39

On 6 May 2015 at 15:58, Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> > However Visual Studio 2012
> > cannot run on XP, nor by default can produce binaries which execute
> > on XP, so testing and developing for XP compatibility is going to
> > become increasingly difficult.
>
> As far as I know this is false. 2013 and 2015 have _xp toolsets that
> allow building for XP..

You may have missed my qualifier "nor by default".

Also, the compatibility toolsets you mention target a much older STL
and C++ support level. VS2015 claims it should be a 99% C++ 11
compliant implementation, so it will be the first MSVC where all C++
11 codebases should reasonably expect to "just work", constexpr and
all. That certainly can never target XP.

VS2015 RTM actually also has a surprising amount of C++ 1z already in
there. It's competitive with latest clang (sans relaxed constexpr and
variable templates). I am quite amazed at the sudden leap forward by
Microsoft actually, it shows just what they are capable of now they
have started competing once again.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting