Subject: Re: [boost] What variants should be build on Windows by default?
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-10 22:11:01

On 6/05/2015 05:20, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> What library variants should be build on Windows by default?
>
> Currently it builds:
> --build-type=<type> Build the specified pre-defined set of variations of
> the libraries. Note, that which variants get built
> depends on what each library supports.
>
> -- minimal -- (default) Builds a minimal set of
> variants. On Windows, these are static
> multithreaded libraries in debug and release
> modes, using shared runtime. On Linux, these are
> static and shared multithreaded libraries in
> release mode.
>
> Personally I use a static-release runtime often (for simple deployments).
> What variants do others use and what should be build by default?

With the Boost internal defaults, building static multithreaded in both
debug and release is probably the right thing to do as a minimal default.

Some applications (notably those that use non-header-only Boost classes
in the API between multiple DLLs or between DLL and EXE) may need to use
shared libraries instead, but these will also need to define
BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK as well, so it's not a minimal build, but should
probably be included in the next-higher tier.