Subject: Re: [boost] Some statistics about the C++ 11/14 mandatory Boost libraries
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-13 12:37:09

On 13/05/15 12:19 PM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> Personally speaking, I think the new library authors are
> overwhelmingly voting for a complete break with Boost 1.x. It makes
> no sense to bundle these new libraries into a 1.x monolithic distro
> when they have no dependencies on Boost.
>
> I believe now is the time we start establishing the infrastructure to
> shape the new Boost 2.0 distro instead of wasting resources on trying
> to refactor the 1.x distro. APIBind is there for maintainers wanting
> to be part of both distros. Let's make a clean break.

Allow me to bring up a point I have been trying to make for quite a
while: Why does Boost need a single "distro" ?
Assuming a full breakup of boost libraries with well documented (and
encoded) dependencies among them, I think a much more viable solution
for everyone would be to let each boost library become its own project
with its own release schedule etc.

So Boost would be merely an umbrella organization, and what you call a
distro may be the repository of Boost libraries.

Wouldn't that be something worthwhile to think about and discuss ?

    Stefan