Subject: Re: [boost] [all][testing] Regression summary upgrades
From: Thomas Trummer (th.trummer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-13 15:41:37

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 6:09 PM, John Maddock <jz.maddock_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> +1, time limit exceptions are a big issue for the Math and Multiprecision
> libs... and yes, I've already spent a lot of time refactoring to make them
> smaller, but they still persist. I suspect many of these are caused by
> virtual machines with insufficient RAM allocated, that then end up
> thrashing the HD: many of the tests that time out compile really pretty
> quickly here (even on obsolete hardware).

I can confirm this. With most other libraries cl.exe uses at most 100MiB of
RAM but with Math it's easily over 1GiB. If you use parallel builds (e.g.
-j2) this adds up pretty quickly (with bjam.exe using about 600MiB). Also
with Math there are usually four or five instances of the compiler running
at the same time (even if you specify -j2). Is this normal?