Subject: Re: [boost] Some statistics about the C++ 11/14 mandatory Boost libraries
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-13 17:03:52

On 13 May 2015 at 15:39, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

> > > Sorry for asking, but what is a C++11/14 mandatory library?
> >
> > Libraries which cannot compile without -std=c++11 or -std=c++14. Some
> > (not many) can work with VS2015 or even VS2013 too.
>
> What's the point of introducing this distinction?

There are libraries which require -std=c++11 or -std=c++14. After
studying ten of these libraries, I answer these questions:

1. Why do these libraries require C++ 11 or 14? From a user
perspective

2. Is there a common theme of the most popular C++ 11/14 features
used?

3. Is there a common theme in choice of library design and use of
third party libraries?

4. Do these new libraries take notice of one another and integrate
themselves well with other libraries, or are they ivory towers?

5. How many of these forthcoming libraries explicitly seek to
contribute to future C++ standardization?

6. Are there techniques used in one library which would make a lot of
sense to be used in another library, but for some reason are not?

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/