Subject: Re: [boost] Some statistics about the C++ 11/14 mandatory Boostlibraries
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-13 20:05:03

On 13/05/15 08:00 PM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 13 May 2015 at 19:50, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>
>> * fetch the sources of a specific boost library from the repository
>> (that's now possible)
>>
>> * only build that library, using pre-built and pre-installed versions of
>> all prerequisites (that's not yet possible)
> I assume you explicitly don't want to pull dependencies not strictly
> needed by your specific boost library.

I'm not sure what you have in mind. Are you talking about optional
dependencies, i.e. dependencies that are required only when particular
features are enabled ? Otherwise I don't see what "not strictly needed"
means.

> Right now for most boost libraries the strictly needed dependencies
> are all other Boost libraries. Therefore your prerequisites are "all
> of Boost".

Again, I'm not sure how you define "strictly needed". It may be hard to
figure out which other files / libraries from Boost may be required to
build boost.python, but I'd simply define "strictly needed" as "whatever
files need to be present for the build not to fail with a "file not
found" error.

> I have no problem with that for the 1.x Boost. For a 2.x Boost I
> think we should take measures now such that we never again don't
> explicitly detail and encode the exact dependencies between
> libraries.

Sounds good.

    Stefan