Subject: Re: [boost] Some statistics about the C++ 11/14 mandatory Boost libraries
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-14 17:01:51

On 14 May 2015 at 11:30, Thomas Trummer wrote:

> One more point: There isn’t such a thing as a “C++11/14 mandatory
> library”. There are libraries that require compilers having certain
> versions or higher. This has always been the case and is not new. Just
> because a library requires/supports newer language features doesn’t
> mean that there is a fundamental shift all of the sudden.

At least four of the libraries reviewed make no sense on 03: Hana,
Expected, Tick, Fit. They are C++ 11/14 mandatory in the strongest
sense.

The other six libraries reviewed I agree could have a similar API in
03, and therefore the choice of C++ 11/14 is an implementation
choice.

The former are a fundamental shift, new idioms and patterns not
possible in any sensible form in 03. In my opinion.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/