Subject: Re: [boost] Some statistics about the C++ 11/14 mandatory Boostlibraries
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-14 19:49:46

Peter Dimov wrote:

> Stephen Kelly wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested in knowing how you would find out which libraries
>> have/need maintainers, and whether you want to 'make a start' at getting
>> that information.
>
> This is actually not that hard to obtain by looking at what repositories
> have someone with a write access assigned to them.

Can I see that from here somehow?

 https://github.com/boostorg/mpl

Or where is it available?

> There's not much interest in this information not because people are
> actively avoiding it, but because it's only useful if we're going to do
> something with it.

Ok. Not gathering it in the first place is a great way to ensure nothing can
be done with it :). Not knowing what the information is is a great way to
have no ideas what to do with it :).

To me, the claim that 'about half (60) of boost libraries have no
maintainer' together with the fact that, in general, the boost maintenance
model does not like 'community maintained libraries' and the fact only 11
libraries are listed in

 https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CommunityMaintenance

points to a self-awareness issue.

It also points to the question 'should Boost move more-consciously toward a
community maintenance model?', even if only for some libraries. It appears
to be what is happening *anyway* without intervention.

Anyway, apparently the information *is* being collected. Presumably that
will lead to publication in some form.

Once the information is available, I'll make some new dependency graphs
containing the information.

Thanks,

Steve.