Subject: Re: [boost] Some statistics about the C++ 11/14 mandatory Boostlibraries
From: Ahmed Charles (acharles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-17 14:53:41

> Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Peter Dimov wrote:
>> > This is actually not that hard to obtain by looking at what repositories > have someone with a write access assigned to them.
>>
>> Can I see that from here somehow?
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/mpl
>
> It's at
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/mpl/settings/collaboration
>
> but you probably won't be able to see it. The CMT and the mpl teams have write access, with the latter consisting of Joel Falcou and Edward Diener.
>
> One might make a case for this information to be made available somewhere, as the current maintainers.txt is not very accurate. Github probably has an API for retrieving it.
>
>> To me, the claim that 'about half (60) of boost libraries have no maintainer' together with the fact that, in general, the boost maintenance model does not like 'community maintained libraries' and the fact only 11 libraries are listed in
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CommunityMaintenance
>>
>> points to a self-awareness issue.
>
> The CMT team has write access to 15 libraries at the moment: concept_check, date_time, disjoint_sets, dynamic_bitset, format, function, interval, logic, mpl, pool, property_map, rational, signals, tokenizer, uuid.
>
>> It also points to the question 'should Boost move more-consciously toward a community maintenance model?', even if only for some libraries. It appears to be what is happening *anyway* without intervention.
>
> The "community maintenance model" is already in full force. We could easily assign all unmaintained libraries to the CMT, but whether that will have any appreciable effects is another story. It's not like there are tons of people who are both qualified and willing to maintain and we're stopping them.

So, let's say I want to be the maintainer for dynamic_bitset, what's the process for doing that? Who do I ask?

Slightly related question, I'm on the CMT, but it's not obvious who is in charge of adding new people who have access or who is in charge of moving libraries under The CMT when they have no active maintainers?