Subject: Re: [boost] RemoteCall framework for RPC
From: Alex Marmer (amarmer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-19 04:21:51

> But, isn't this what you'd use an RPC framework for? So a user won't have to mess with the networking code?

For, instance XML-RPC. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML-RPC%c2%a0%c2 "XML-RPC" also refers generically to the use of XML for remote procedure call, independently of the specific protocol".

     On Monday, May 18, 2015 8:30 AM, Andreas Schäfer <gentryx_at_[hidden]> wrote:

 Heya,

On 07:32 Sun 17 May    , Alex Marmer wrote:
> Programmer needs to implement serialization for custom data (as it is shown for struct ABC in https://github.com/amarmer/RemoteCall/blob/master/TestAPI.h%c2 )Then advantage of the framework: C++ remote programming model is the same as local.

I think there already are plenty of RPC frameworks which also carry
this functionality. HPX[1] comes to mind (though it has to be noted
that HPX does much more than just RPCs).

> It can be any transport which synchronously sends and receives data,

>From a user perspective, I have to say that a "synchronous-only" makes
much sense for our applications.

> it is not implemented by framework.

But, isn't this what you'd use an RPC framework for? So a user won't
have to mess with the networking code?

Cheers
-Andreas

[1] http://stellar-group.org/libraries/hpx/

Andreas Schäfer
HPC and Grid Computing
Department of Computer Science 3
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
+49 9131 85-27910
PGP/GPG key via keyserver
http://www.libgeodecomp.org