Subject: Re: [boost] Environment Variables Library?
From: Rob Stewart (rob.stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-20 04:42:45

On May 19, 2015 5:51:14 AM EDT, Michael Ainsworth <michael_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> It'd be nice for an alternative that provides a cleaner implementation
> with less "global namespace pollution", but regardless, it appears
> that in the current situation:
>
> 1. Windows does not use environmental variables as much as POSIX, but
> still does use them.
> 2. There is not great support for environmental variables in the
> curren C++ standard.
> 3. Therefore, there is a need for such a library.

In my experience, non-developer tools on Windows only use PATH and, perhaps, a few system e-vars like SystemRoot.

Any tools, including scripts, I've written that use the environment have done nothing more than the equivalent of getenv() and setenv().

In the end, I don't see value in the library you suggest, but there may well be enough others who do to justify it.

___
Rob