Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in non-intrusive signal/slot lib?
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-20 19:02:10

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Edward Diener wrote:
>
> I understand that with Synapse you are merely making a call at a
>> convenient point in order to emit a signal, whereas with signals2 you need
>> to have a boost::signals2::signal object somewhere for the particular
>> signal triggering before you can emit a signal or have connections to
>> handle the signal. But in Synapse you also must have a signal emitter which
>> is accesible for the event handlers making the connection to the event.
>> This to me is equivalent to boost::signals2 having a signal object.
>>

> You can use an already existing object as the emitter, such as a HWND, or
> a third-party UI button object.

Yes, for example it is not at all trivial to pass some kind of (emitter)
object down to a WindowProc. With Synapse you don't have to, you can call
emit<> on the HWND object directly, as in
http://revergestudios.com/boost-synapse/using_Boost_Synapse_to_handle_events_from_an_OS_message_pump.html
.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.