Subject: Re: [boost] [next gen future-promise] What to call themonadicreturntype?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-26 10:34:54

On 26 May 2015 at 13:50, Peter Dimov wrote:

> The use case I was wondering above is that you create a promise, but never
> get a future from it.

The present resumable functions proposal requires a promise to be
created on entry to every resumable function. The first time the
function is suspended promise.get_future() is called, and the future
returned immediately.

If the resumable function never suspends, promise.get_future() ought
to be called straight after the set_value() OR make_ready_future will
be used instead. At least, that will be the case of Gor agrees to
tweak the operation ordering in the TS as I have requested (I can't
see it being a problem). If that ordering is implemented, then with
these future-promises a resumable function which was never suspended
has identical runtime overheads to a non-resumable function, and that
is a HUGE win over the present situation which is much less
efficient.

All this assumes I understand the current TS before the committee
correctly and its exact boilerplate expansion from the await/yield
etc keywords.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting