Subject: Re: [boost] Fwd: Binary Region Differentials
From: John Bytheway (jbytheway+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-26 23:04:05

On 2015-05-21 15:20, Kenneth Adam Miller wrote:
> Suppose I have a rather huge binary region. Transferring it by any means is
> an expensive operation. But changes to it will only be some fraction at
> worst case as large as the binary region itself, but in practice will
> typically be regional byte blobs, mostly not more than a single kilobyte
> long.. Is there any data structure that already handles this, where I could
> say, have every instance start off from the original binary region, and
> calculate what any other instance of that data structure has by
> "applicating the deltas"?

Suggest you read https://github.com/bup/bup/blob/master/DESIGN which
discusses the algorithm used by rsync and bup to do this sort of thing
efficiently. It's not quite what you're asking for, but it should be
able to achieve much the same results.

If your problem is actually to transfer such files, updating the one at
the destination, then perhaps you can simply use rsync and not worry
about it.

John Bytheway