Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-29 15:53:57

On 5/29/2015 12:31 PM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as I have mentioned here before, I would very much like to continue the
> modularization effort, by fully separating the Boost.Python project from
> the rest of Boost.
> For avoidance of doubt: my intent is not to remove Boost.Python out of
> the Boost organization. Rather, I would like to separate the build and
> release processes.
> For the sake of keeping the discussion focused, I would like to avoid
> getting into too many (technical) details (there already is a related
> discussion on the Boost.Build list).
> Rather, I would like to know whether people here (and Boost.Python users
> in particular) have any particular thoughts about this proposal. Any
> strong reasons not to move forward with this ? Things to consider while
> doing it ? Etc.
>
> (My hope is that if the operation succeeds, other Boost libraries may
> want to do the same, which would help Boost in the long term to become
> more manageable.)

Does Boost.python have dependencies on any other Boost libraries ? If so
how do you ensure that the standalone version you propose will work with
whatever dependencies it has of various Boost distributions which exist ?

Does any other Boost library depend on Boost.python ? If so how do you
ensure that another Boost library will work with your proposed
standalone version of Boost.python ?