Subject: Re: [boost] Recent changes in Boost policies
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-30 10:05:56

Niall Douglas wrote:

> > On an unrelated note, it was very heart-warming to read this:
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/boost-steering/WWM6nQ4szSY
> >
> > and not see bpm (an existing and working implementation of what this
> > initiative is intended to produce) get even a mention.
>
> It isn't personal Peter, not by a long stretch.

Well that's quite a relief then.

> We were definitely fully aware of your work, in fact your work was
> repeatedly brought up in detail at the meeting itself and there was some
> discussion about how complete it was if I remember, and how much it would
> take to finish the job, or whether instead just to draw a line between
> those libraries it works for and those it does not and make two Boost
> distros out of that.

There is no such line; it works the same way for all libraries. And it's
basically finished. What remains to be done is not any work on bpm itself
(to a first approximation) but tackling the remaining vestiges of
centralization in the Boost release process.

This is mostly documentation, which needs to be in libs/*/doc/html. Having
per-library stage directories would be helpful for doing binary releases,
but it's not critical for source releases. A per-library XML change log
would also be a step in the right direction.

End goal, after all these changes, should be a release procedure that is
completely automated, once it's determined which submodule versions (and
which submodules - it would also work on a subset) would be included. This
by the way is independent of whether bpm is used or something else.