Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-30 15:24:43

On 5/30/15 11:15 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
> On 5/30/2015 1:41 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:

>> In addition, I would expect that if I go to boost root and run b2 it
>> would build my new library as well. That is I would hope/assume that
>> b2 would build all the libraries in the lib subdirectory rather than
>> depending on some magic list inside of the the jamfile at the root. I
>> know I could investigate it on my own, but it's easier just to ask here
>> while making my point that this is the way it "should" work.
>
> What do you mean by "build my new library as well" ? Are you positing
> that your theoretical library is a non-header only library ? In which
> case how does b2 know which jam file to execute to do that ?

I would expect it to walk the directory structure looking at all the

libs/*/build and building the libraries

or better yet

libs/*/test and invoking all the jamfiles it's finds in those directories.

If boost build doesn't do it this way but rather depends upon some list,
well it would be easy for boost build to generate the list from the
directory structure - no other changes necessary.

Actually, this would be quite easy for me to implement as as shell
script. I realize that this would repeat some dependency checking but it
would still work. In general, the building of all of boost should be
the union of building each library in the libs directory. Similar for test.

Robert Ramey