Subject: Re: [boost] [testing][regression] Heads up: compilation warnings are available for passing tests.
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-03 17:27:33

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Adam Wulkiewicz <adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> > On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Adam Wulkiewicz <
> adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > For passing tests which are expected to pass, if warnings are generated
> > > during the compilation they can be seen after clicking on the "pass"
> > link.
> > > If the link isn't there it means that there were no warnings. I hope it
> > > will allow us to improve the quality of the libraries even more.
> > >

> > I noticed one serious problem with this change.. When there are warnings
> on
> > a test the has the always show output option on it.. The test output is
> not
> > available (it usually would be available from that same pass link). For
> an
> > example of the problem take a look at the Predef <
> > http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/predef.html>
> > results for any of the info_* tests.
> >

> Sorry, but I don't understand the nature of the problem.
>
> The output for a passing test was not available before.
>
> Would you prefer to see the full output for the passing test if warnings
> were detected?
> Generating separate file for each passing test with warnings would result
> in a massive files bloat. I tested it for gcc6.0 and the disk usage
> increased from 30MB to 120MB because a lot of small files was generated. Of
> course I could do it if that was acceptable.
>
> Or is it something else?

Something else.. There's this build & testing feature of allowing one to
mask tests as always providing the full test output regardless of it
passing (or failing). Which one can activate by adding
"<test-info>always_show_run_output" to the test requirements. For example
see here <https://github.com/boostorg/predef/blob/develop/test/build.jam#L52>.
The effect was that the pass cell would link to a page with the full
compile+link+run output for the test. That functionality is now totally
gone (even for passing tests without warnings that have the
always_show_run_output option active).

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything