Subject: Re: [boost] Moving the include directoryto$BOOST_ROOT/include?(again)
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-03 18:46:32

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:43 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Gavin Lambert wrote:
> On 3/06/2015 01:57, Peter Dimov wrote:
>
>> > All existing Visual Studio projects and solutions, and everything that
>> > still points its include directory to the Boost root, will (should) >
>> continue to work because of the symbolic link from $BOOST_ROOT/boost -> >
>> $BOOST_ROOT/include/boost, which I've proposed for this purpose.
>>
>> Unfortunately this is not the case, as symlinks are Complicatedâ„¢ on
>> Windows and don't work by default out of the box.
>>

> I say "symlink" for brevity but on Windows in the common case it will
> probably be a junction.

I don't think either works reliably on Windows. They will only work if
group policy permits it (and symlinks will never work on win7 if you are an
admin, ironically) and lots of programs don't deal with junctions correctly.

I'd rather just make the change and force the update to projects' include
path than having symlinks/junctions hanging around for backwards
compatibility. If users want to add a symlink/junciton, they can do that.

Tom