Subject: Re: [boost] What would make tool authors happier..
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-04 10:15:02

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've been very happy with this whole system for many years.
>>

> LOL - sorry I meant to say "unhappy"
>

>> Thank you.. But I haven't been happy with it.
>>

> So we're in agreement again.

:-)

> I see that now. It never occurred to me that you would somehow try to
> accommodate gratuitous deviations from our traditional/standard directory
> structure. I think you made a mistake going down this path in the first
> place.

It actually wasn't my mistake.. I inherited the "bad test list". And have
been dealing with it for a long time now. But never caring enough to bring
down the hammer. Now I've reached the point where people are asking why
stuff is so fragile, unreliable, uninformative, etc. And my answer is now
"you made it that way", and now I'm trying to fix it and make it better.

> But this subject is very important to me - I'm sort of amazed that most
> everyone else seems content with the current setup.

It's important to about 4 or 5 of us only it seems :-( I'm not surprised
though. I've learned that there's a distinct disdain for programmers to
value infrastructure. As it's not a "sexy" endeavor.

But if you want to see 1, 2.a, 2.b, 2.c, 2.d, and 2.f in action you

>> can take a look at:
>>
>> <https://ci.appveyor.com/project/boostorg/predef>
>> <https://travis-ci.org/boostorg/predef>
>> <https://github.com/boostorg/predef/blob/develop/appveyor.yml>
>> <https://github.com/boostorg/predef/blob/develop/.travis.yml>
>> <https://github.com/boostorg/regression/blob/develop/ci/src/script.py>
>>
>> Note, the script.py is going to get smaller soon as there's extra code in
>> it I though I needed as I implemented this for the past two weeks.
>>

> Hmmm - looks like we're on divergent paths here.

Not really.. I was only referring to a replacement to the current system. I
see your path as an addition worth doing also. And some of the steps (the
ones not implemented yet) will help in making your ideal easier to operate
in tandem with the CI testing.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything