Subject: Re: [boost] [metaparse] review
From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-05 02:33:32

> Hi Andrzej,
>
> On 2015-06-03 22:32, Andrzej Krzemienski wrote:

>> I am not quite sure either. Sorry, if I am being imprecise. For instance,
>> am rather impatient (and I suspect I am not the only one), and expect
>> that
>> I will learn from the documentation in less than three minutes, what is
>> its
>> scope, what I will and will not able to do with it, and how using it will
>> look like. In the metaparse doc, I was not able to do that, I was forced
>> read the tutorial, whose pace is too slow for me. I got impatient and
>> distracted.
>>
>> My remark is not to the amount of information, but to how it is ordered.
>> For instance, when you look at the documentation of Optional (
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_58_0/libs/optional/doc/html/index.html),
>> in
>> the first page you get a short example of how it is used and why you want
>> to use it. The potential user can immediately make a decision whether she
>> wants this library or not.
>>
>> I hope I am making sense. I cannot describe it any better. Perhaps it is
>> just personal preference.
>>
> If I understand you correctly, some example from which one can "easily"
> tell what the library is about would make sense in the documentation
> (probably on the first page).
>
> For optional it is easy, as its scope is small and the concept is well
> known. For a compile-time parser generator library it is more difficult to
> come up with such an example,

Agreed. It may be that this is a problem domain that makes the docs more
difficult.

> but I'll try my best.

How a bout writing a string literal for boost::rational<int>. It uses only
raw floating-poit literals, accepts forms without exponent, forms the
nominator and denumerator and turns them into boost::rational<int>. Would
that take long?

Regards,
&rzej