Subject: [boost] Github and forks
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-08 10:57:41

My use case is: I want to create a Github PR request against a Boost
submodule repository. I then want to create a separate Github PR request
against the same Boost submodule repository. I understand the Github
mechanism of forking a repository and creating a PR request.

For some reason which I do not understand Github will not allow their
online forking mechanism to fork the same repository more than once to
different names within a user account. In other words if I fork a Boost
submodule repository to my user account, rename the repository, and then
fork the same Boost repository to my user account again it will just
update the renamed repository rather than create a new forked repository
again. Considering that Github allows any repository you can find there
to be forked to your user account, can anybody think of why Github will
not allow the same repository to be forked twice to different repositories ?

Of course I can get around this Github forking limitation by creating a
new Github repository in myn user account, cloning an existing Github
repository locally, and then pushing that cloned repository to my new
Github repository. That will create two different repositories off of
the same Github repository in my user account. But in this case I can't
use the online PR mechanism on this second repository against the
original Github repository.