Subject: [boost] [Advice] Documenting the "refined by" relation for concepts
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-13 16:12:47

Dear all,

When documenting a concept in a generic library, it is common to include what
this concept is a "refinement of", i.e. which other concept(s) it specializes.
For example, see the ForwardContainer concept from the SGI STL [1], which
is a refinement of the Container concept.

I find documenting this relation very useful. However, I have never seen the
reverse relation of being "refined by" documented. It has been suggested to
me [2] that Hana should document this "refined by" relation. Having never
seen it done before, I'd like to know what the seasoned generic library
writers think about it. The possibilities I personally see are

1. It's just not useful, and that's why it's not done
2. It's actually harmful, because you can't predict who is going to
   refine a concept
3. There's no "logical" reason behind this, it just happened to work that
   way in the SGI STL and everybody else followed that lead.

Any input is appreciated.

Regards,
Louis

[1]: https://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/ForwardContainer.html